Camelina is a genus within the flowering plant family Brassicaceae . The Camelina species, commonly known as false flax, are native to Mediterranean regions of Europe and Asia . Most species of this genus have been studied with the exception of Camelina sativa , historically cultivated as oil plant . Heinrich Johann Nepomuk von Crantz was the first botanist to use the genus CamelinaIn a classification published in December 2016 , the US Navy tested a 50-50 mix of jet fuel and fuel derived from camelina seeds in 2010.  kerosene-based jet fuel makes it cost-prohibitive for commercial airlines to use camelina-based jet fuel. The study said that it would be necessary to have a market share of 9 percent government subsidy on camelina crop production, with 9 percent tax on the fuel oil. 
The name Camelina comes from the Greek for “ground” and “flax”, referring to the vigor of flax crops. 
Camelina seedlings are annual or biennial herbs . Their leaves are simple , lanceolate to narrowly elliptic . The flowers are hermaphroditic actinomorphic , grouped in racemes , and yellowish colored. The seeds are formed in dehiscent siliques . 
The first full genome sequence for Camelina was released on August 1, 2013, by a Canadian research team. The genome sequence and its annotation are available in a genome format and enabled for sequence searching and alignment.  Technical details of Camelina’s genome sequence were published on April 23, 2014 in the journal Nature Communications. 
Rothamsted Institute in the UK Developed genetically modified Camelina sativa plants accumulate That In Their high levels of the seeds along chain omega 3 oils EPA and DHA, found in fish oils Commonly. These plants could provide a reliable source of omega-3 fatty acids and have benefits for human health and the environment.  Field trials were underway in 2016. 
Four common species are presented below. However, at least two databanks indicate more species may exist.  
- Camelina alyssum
- Camelina microcarpa
- Camelina rumelica
- Camelina sativa
- Jump up^ “From Seed to Supersonic” (PDF) . Currents . US Navy. Winter 2011.
- Jump up^ “Camelina oil could be economically feasible as a source of commercial jet fuel, new OSU analysis shows” . Oregon State University Extension and Agricultural Research News. 2017-02-17.
- Jump up^ http://florabase.dec.wa.gov.au/browse/profile/21468
- Jump up^ http://www.plantes-botanique.org/genre_Camelina
- Jump up^ ” Camelina sativa Genome Project” . Prairie Gold . Retrieved 2013-08-01 .
- Jump up^ “The emerging biofuel crop Camelina sativa retains a highly undifferentiated hexaploid genome structure” . Nature Communications . Retrieved 2014-04-23 .
- Jump up^ “Crop plants -” green factories “for fish oils” . Rothamsted Research . Retrieved 2016-11-04 .
- Jump up^ “Researchers apply to high yield GM wheat crop . ” Financial Times . 2016-11-05 . Retrieved 2016-11-05 . (Subscription required ( help )) .
- Jump up^ http://es.mirror.gbif.org/species/browse/taxon/9321890
- Jump up^ http://www.theplantlist.org/browse/A/Brassicaceae/Camelina/