Elaeis oleifera is a species of palm commonly called the American oil palm . It is native to South and Central America from Honduras to northern Brazil .    
Unlike its relative Elaeis guineensis , the African oil palm, it is rarely planted commercially to produce palm oil , but hybrids between the two species are,  mainly in efforts to provide disease resistance and to increase the proportion of unsaturated fatty acids. oil. 
- Jump up^ “The Plant List: A Working List of All Plant Species” . Retrieved 4 June 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Elaeis oleifera” . Germplasm Resources Information Network (GRIN) . Agricultural Research Service (ARS), United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) . Retrieved 18 December 2017 .
- Jump up^ Bailey, Liberty Hyde. 1933. Gentes Herbarum; Occasional Papers on the Kinds of Plants 3 (2): 59, f. 32, 35-40,Corozo oleifera
- Jump up^ Cortes, Santiago. 1897. Flora de Colombia: includes the botanical geografia of Colombia, the leguminosas, the flora terapiutica, 1: 203,Elaeis oleifera
- Jump up^ Kunth, Karl Sigismund. 1816. Nova Genera and Species Plantarum (quarto ed.) 1: 307, Alfonsia oleifera
- Jump up^ “Replanting diseased oil palm areas with Elaeis oleifera X E. guineensis hybrids at” La Arenosa “Estate in Colombia” . Oil Palm News . 18 : 1-8. 1974.
- Jump up^ “Variation in the total of unsaturated fatty acids in oils extracted from different oil palm germplasm, Carmen E. Chávez and Francisco Sterling, ASD Palm Oil Papers, Volume 3 pp. 5-8, 1991″(PDF) .