The Hemp Industries Association ( HIA ) is a non-profit trade group Representing hemp companies, Researchers and supporters in the United States and Canada. The group petitions for fair and equal treatment of industrial hemp. Since 1992, the HIA has been dedicated to education, industry development, and the accelerated expansion of supply and demand .
The HIA was founded by cannabis activist and author Chris Conrad , who also served as the organization’s first president. 
In 2010, the organization bought the diaries of Lyster Dewey and plans to display them to the public for the first time in many years. 
HIA said in 2014 that hemp seed oil is less than 25 parts per million CBD , thus, it is not a source of CBD Which could be used in epilepsy treatments. 
HIA vs. DEA
On October 9, 2001, the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) posted an interpretive rule on its website declaring that all of them contained any traces of THC would be considered to be counter-legal, effectively criminalizing all of the products in the US.  After a period of public comment, the DEA filed the final proposed rule in the federal register on March 21, 2003. One week later, the HIA joined with the Organic Consumers Association and several companies DEA rule going into effect.
On February 6, 2004, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled unanimously for the HIA, opining that the DEA did not have the authority under the federal Controlled Substances Act to ban the otherwise legal product because it might have traces of THC.  On September 28, 2004, the Supreme Court of the United States declined to hear the appeal, allowing the Ninth Circuit decision to stand.
- Jump up^ Conrad, Christopher PM (2013). “Curriculum Vitae as short-qualified expert witness” . chrisconrad.com . Archived from the original on May 11, 2015 . Retrieved May 25, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Roig-Franzia, Manuel (May 13, 2010). “Hemp fans look at Lyster Dewey ‘s past, and the Pentagon, for higher ground . The Washington Post . Washington DC : WPC . ISSN 0190-8286 . Retrieved May 25, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Jones, Whitney. “Hemp Oil Not a Source of CBD Which Could Be Used in Epilepsy Treatments” .
- Jump up^ “Information: Legal Cases: DEA Hemp Food Rules” . Hemp vote . 2014 . Retrieved May 25, 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Hemp Industries USA Association LLC V. Drug Enforcement Administration” . FindLaw . February 6, 2004 . Retrieved May 25, 2015 .