Hempcrete or Hemplime is a bio-composite material, a mixture of hemp hurdles (shives) and lime (possibly including natural hydraulic lime ,  sand , pozzolans ) used as a material for construction and insulation .  It is marketed under names like Hempcrete, Canobiota, Canosmose, and Isochanvre.  Hempcrete is easier to work with than traditional lime mixes and acts as an insulator and moisture regulator. It lacks the brittleness of concrete and does not need expansion joints .  The result is a lightweight insulating material.
Like other plant products, hemp absorbs CO 2 from the atmosphere as it grows, retaining the carbon and releasing the oxygen . Theoretically 165 kg of carbon can be absorbed and locked up by 1 m 3 of hempcrete wall during manufacture.  In addition to the carbonation of the lime during this lime turns to limestone . 
The typical compressive strength is around 1 MPa,  around 1/20 that of residential grade concrete . It is a low density material and resistant to cracking under the earthquake-prone areas. Hempcrete walls must be used together with a frame of another material that supports the vertical load in building construction, as hempcrete’s density is 15% that of traditional concrete. 
Limecrete, Ltd. (UK) reports a fire resistance rating of 1 hour per British / EU standards. 
- Jump up^ Allin, Steve. Building with Hemp, Seed Press, 2005,ISBN 978-0-9551109-0-0. (p.146, 1st Edition).
- Jump up^ “NNFCC Renewable Building Materials Factsheet: An Introduction” . National Non-Food Crops Center . February 21, 2008 . Retrieved 2011-02-16 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Priesnitz, Rolf B. (March-April 2006). “Hemp For Houses” . Natural Life Magazine .
- Jump up^ “Tradical Hemcrete 2008 Information Pack” . American Lime Technology . Retrieved 2010-05-15 .
- Jump up^ “Minoeco – Natural Plasters & Bioclimatic Design, Hempcrete” .
- Jump up^ “Tradical Hemcrete 2008 Information Pack” . American Lime Technology . Retrieved 2009-08-25 .
- Jump up^ Flahiff, Daniel (August 24, 2009). “Hemcrete®: Carbon Negative Hemp Walls” . Inhabitat .
- Jump up^ Abbott, Tom (2014-04-26). “Hempcrete Factsheet” . The Limecrete Company, Ltd.